There are a number of reasons to seriously consider breastfeeding.
Here are just a few of them.
Benefits for Baby
– breastmilk changes as baby’s needs change
– it is more easily digestible than formula and cow’s milk
– aids in the development of baby’s brain
– breastfeeding leads to fewer incidents of allergies, ear and respiratory infections (if baby is exclusively breastfed for the first three months)
– it can reduce development of certain diseases including insulin-dependent diabetes and leukemia
Benefits for Mom
– provides a wonderful opportunity to bond with your baby
– speeds up postpartum recovery
– reduces risk of some diseases including osteoporosis and ovarian cancer
If you have questions or concerns about breastfeeding, seek out a lactation consultant or other breastfeeding friendly professional. You can also check out your local La Leche League chapter. There are few moms who cannot successfully breastfed, if they get encouragement and support.