While you’re preparing for your baby’s arrival, you will, no doubt, spend plenty of time in the stores (or online) accumulating the things your little one will need. However, you may be overlooking one of the of most precious of all gifts: something that expresses just how excited you are to have him or her joining your family.
Even if you’re not particularly creative (personally, I think everyone is creative in some way), here are a few suggestions. They’re only springboards for your own ideas. The sky’s the limit. And I’d love to hear what you come up with.
1. Bake and decorate a cake to welcome baby. Take pictures so you can add them to the baby book.
2. Speaking of the baby book…why not give scrapbooking a try? It doesn’t have to be elaborate, just fun. And if you’re not a scrapbooker and don’t want to invest in a lot of expensive supplies, you can often pick up some great things at the local dollar store.
3. How about making a quilt or a wall-hanging for your little one? (I don’t sew, but there are some beautiful designs that almost make me want to take it up.)
4. You don’t need to be a professional illustrator to create a personalized picture book for your daughter or son. One day your child will cherish this one-of-a-kind keepsake.
5. Remember when people used to write letters, not 140-character tweets? (Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely love Twitter, but it has its limits.) Pour out your heart on paper; seal it in a cute envelope; and tuck it away until your child can read and appreciate it.
6. Even if you’re not a writer, you can have fun writing poems for your child. Below is a haiku for my daughter, a cinquain for Son #2, and some rhyming couplets for Son #1. (If you’re looking for other poetic forms, check out Wikipedia. There’s some great info there.)
Treasured beyond words
Daughter I always longed for
I’m so glad you’re mine.
Making my days brighter
Heading off into the wide world
Metal-loving, deep in thought,
Reading books he loves a lot.
Big words wielding, stupid shows,
Leaving laughter where he goes.
This is how he spends his days.
Friends and family gain his love,
He’s a gift from God above.